HR employee resources - Overloads for part-time faculty and academic staff
You are viewing additional payment policies for part-time Faculty and Academic Staff. Use the following links for:
- Full Time UWL Faculty and Academic Staff
- Part-Time UWL Faculty and Academic Staff
- UW System Faculty and Academic Staff
- For new or former employees of UWL
- University Staff
- Graduate or Teaching Assistants
- Student Workers
When paying an employee* who has an FTE lower than 100%, it is our obligation to pay for additional duties by adding FTE rather than by lump sum payment. It is generally permissible to pay a lump sum payment when the duration of the assignment is less than one month, longer term assignments should be made using a salary and FTE. In some cases, an hourly academic staff appointment may be appropriate. HR can help determine the appropriate payment type and should be consulted to approve lump sum payments to part-time employee.
In any case, an employee action form (EAF) is needed.
If a lump sum payment is approved, lump sum payment form in addition to the EAF.
*this applies to part-time UWL employees as well part-time employees of other UW System institutions
- Overload and summer payment form: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/offices-services/human-resources/overloadlumpform.pdf
- Inter-institutional overload form: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/download/related_documents/312/Attachment-B.pdf
- Lump sum payment form: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/offices-services/human-resources/lump-sum-payment-request-form.pdf
- Employee Action Form: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/offices-services/human-resources/eaf.docx
- UW-La Crosse Overload Policy: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/offices-services/human-resources/overloadpaymentsforfacultyacademicstaffpolicy.pdf
- UW-La Crosse Payroll Policies: https://kb.uwlax.edu/103691
- UW System Administrative Policy Overload Payments and Temporary Base Adjustments for Faculty, Academic Staff, and Limited Appointees: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/offices-services/human-resources/overload-administrative-policy--final---4-25-14.pdf
- UW System Administrative Policy 230 Salary & Fringe Benefit Calculations: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/salary-fringe-benefit-calculations/
- UW System Administrative Policy 324 Inter-Institutional Financial Transactions: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/inter-institutional-financial-transactions/
- UW System Inter-Institutional Campus Contacts: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/inter-institutional-financial-transactions/