Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I enable and use Zoom?
Zoom is an approved integration in Canvas, making it easier for instructors and students to access course content and online sessions all in one place.
Even if you do not enable Zoom in Canvas, you can always add session links to your modules or link within a page, discussion, assignment, etc.
**Using Zoom to Record only**
When you create the meeting in the Canvas-Zoom integration, students can see those in multiple places (Zoom tab, course calendar, etc) and may be confused by how you would like them to attend your course.
Creating meetings in Canvas
After you have enabled Zoom in your course navigation:
- If it's the first time logging into Zoom you will need to activate your account; you will get an email to activate. Then refresh your page in Canvas.
- Start scheduling meetings in your course.
- In the left-hand navigation, click Zoom.
- Click Schedule a New Meeting in the top right.
- Recommended: update the Topic to reflect the course and meeting days/times.
- Enter the Date and Time the first meeting will begin.
- Select the meeting duration, the minute increments are 15, 30, and 45. Round up if needed.
- To schedule a recurring meeting, click the Recurring Meeting checkbox.
- You can set how often the meeting recurs, daily, weekly, monthly, or no fixed time. Weekly allows you to pick multiple days of the week if you will be meeting MWF or TTH.
- The end date is based on a date or after a number of occurrences.
- You will be able to edit individual meetings.
- You can delete individual meetings or all occurrences.
- Complete the rest of the meeting set-up.
- Even if the passcode is checked, students will be able to join the meeting from Canvas without having to enter that.
- The waiting room requires the host to admit students as they enter the meeting.
- Requiring authentication is not necessary for students to be able to participate in a meeting.*
- Allow audio for both telephone and computer in case students have issues with their computer audio.
- Alternative hosts will need to be added if another instructor will be running a meeting in your absence.
- You can also create meetings directly in Zoom and import into the course with the Meeting ID (Example: 598-378-174). When you are in Zoom for your course, locate the three vertical dots in the top right corner (next to Schedule a New Meeting) to import.
*If you want to pre-assign breakout rooms, these groups are created by adding students emails so when you are creating the meeting you will need to check the box Require authentication to join. Students will then sign into the Zoom meeting by using their UWL emails. Students and instructors need the updated version of Zoom for this to work as well.
Joining/starting a meeting
Once you have created meetings, you can start the meeting from the Zoom link in the Canvas course or through the Zoom webpage. Go to https://uwlax-edu.zoom.us and sign in to see a list of scheduled meetings.
- Zoom article: How do I record my sessions?
- Zoom article: How do I share my computer screen?
- Zoom article: Replying and managing chat messages
- Zoom article: How do I create breakout rooms?
- Zoom article: Polling for meetings
- Zoom article: My video/camera isn't working
- Zoom article: Audio echo in a meeting
- For help additional help with using Zoom, contact the Eagle Help Desk.
- If you have Zoom questions related to your Canvas course, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.