Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I enable and use Zoom?
Zoom is an approved integration in Canvas, making it easier for instructors and students to access course content and online sessions all in one place.
**Using Zoom to Record only**
When you create the meeting in the Canvas-Zoom integration, students can see those in multiple places (Zoom tab, course calendar, etc) and may be confused by how you would like them to attend your course.
Creating meetings in Canvas
After you have enabled Zoom in your course navigation:
- If it's the first time logging into Zoom you will need to activate your account; you will get an email to activate. Then refresh your page in Canvas.
- Start scheduling meetings in your course.
- You can also create meetings directly in Zoom and import into the course with the Meeting ID (Example: 598-378-174). When you are in Zoom for your course, locate the three vertical dots in the top right corner (next to Schedule a New Meeting) to import.
*If you want to pre-assign breakout rooms, these groups are created by adding students emails so when you are creating the meeting you will need to check the box Require authentication to join. Students will then sign into the Zoom meeting by using their UWL emails. Students and instructors need the updated version of Zoom for this to work as well.
Joining/starting a meeting
Once you have created meetings, you can start the meeting from the Zoom link in the Canvas course or through the Zoom webpage. Go to https://uwlax-edu.zoom.us and sign in to see a list of scheduled meetings.
- Zoom article: How do I record my sessions?
- Zoom article: How do I share my computer screen?
- Zoom article: Replying and managing chat messages
- Zoom article: How do I create breakout rooms?
- Zoom article: Polling for meetings
- Zoom article: My video/camera isn't working
- Zoom article: Audio echo in a meeting
- For help additional help with using Zoom, contact the Eagle Help Desk.