Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I submit to an assignment?
Assignment submission options are based on how the instructor has the assignment set up. Below are instructions for those different options as well as how to view grades and comments after submission.
Getting started | Submit to an assignment | Tips & Tricks for submitting files | View assignment grades and comments
- Canvas guide: How do I view an assignment as a student?
- Canvas guide: How do I view the rubric for the assignment?
Submit to an assignment
- Canvas guide: How do I submit an online assignment?
- Canvas guide: How do I submit a text entry assignment?
- Canvas guide: How do I enter an URL as an assignment submission?
- Canvas guide: How do I annotate a file as an assignment submission?
- Canvas guide: How do I use my webcam to take a photo for an assignment submission?
- Canvas guide: How do I submit a media file?
- Canvas guide: How do I upload and submit a file?
- Canvas guide: How do I upload and submit a file from Microsoft Office 365?
- Canvas guide: Troubleshooting submitting a Canvas assignment
Tips & Tricks for submitting files
- Make sure you give yourself enough time to submit before the due date and time.
- Canvas does not support file uploads larger than 5 GB.
- If you have multiple pages to submit, select them all before clicking the submit assignment button.
- You're instructor can restrict which files types can be submitted to an assignment. This will show up on the assignment submission page.
- HEIC images (captured from iOS devices) are not supported in Canvas grading and not everyone has the ability to open them on their computers.
- If you need to use your phone to take a picture of an assignment, change how your images are saved on your iPhone.
- Go into your settings>camera>formats and selecting Most Compatible so they will save as a jpg.
- Other options for capturing or saving:
- Use a free scanner app to capture PDF from your phone (examples: CamScanner, Genius Scan or Adobe Scan)
- Add your images to a Word document and save as a PDF.
- Email yourself the images through Outlook and it will auto re-format as a jpg.
View assignment grade and comments
- Canvas guide: How do I know when my assignment has been submitted?
- Larger files may take awhile to process. They will display a submission status as it is processing.
- Canvas guide: How do I manage celebration animations in Canvas?
- Canvas guide: How do I know when my assignment has been graded?
- Canvas guide: How do I view assignment comments?
- Canvas guide: How do I view rubric results?
24/7/365 Canvas Support is available through the help icon in Canvas, by calling the phone support for faculty, staff and students.