Business Services Policy - Signature Authority
|Executive Sponsors||Vice Chancellor for Administration & Finance|
|Policy Contact||Purchasing Director|
WISconsin Data Mart, or WISDM is the University’s web-based financial reporting system. Department IDs (UDDS) are assigned to a WISDM manager who is responsible for reviewing the financial transactions for the department. This policy applies to WISDM managers and their delegates who seek to approve certain Business Services transactions within the University. Signature Authority defaults to the WISDM Manager unless otherwise assigned to a delegate(s). This policy does not apply to externally sponsored agreements or contracts with the University and is separate from the university’s “Contracting Personnel” list.
- It is the responsibility of the WISDM manager to review and approve the financial transactions for their department. Delegation of signature authority is appropriate where the delegation will enhance the effectiveness and efficiency while maintaining accountability.
- Each authorized person approving a transaction must affix his or her own signature to any documents that are required to be signed. In certain situations, approval may be accepted via email at the discretion of Business Services.
- Stamped signatures will not be accepted. At this time, electronic signatures are not accepted. Each authorized person approving a transaction must physically sign any document they are approving.
- For invoices that are encumbered by a purchase order, because the purchase requisition has been approved by the WISDM manager prior to the creation of the purchase order, the requestor of the purchase requisition or the end user(s) noted on the purchase order can review and approve the invoice for payment as well as the WISDM manager or delegated authority.
- A delegation of signature authority shall commensurate with the employee’s role within the organization as well as the department’s business procedures. Individuals who receive delegated signature authority shall have sufficient knowledge of the University policies, rules, laws, regulations and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Individuals with delegated signature authority are responsible for assuring the following:
- An understanding of what is being approved.
- The business purpose is obvious to an unrelated third party or, if not, is indicated in writing.
- The information and supporting documentation is accurate and complete.
- The transaction is allowable, reasonable and justified.
- The funding source is appropriate for the expenditure.
- It is the responsibility of the WISDM manager to maintain proper control and management of their department; the WISDM manager remains accountable for all actions taken by the delegate.
- WISDM managers may only delegate signature authority for the following transactions and amounts. However, business managers are authorized for an amount up to $25,000.
- Food Expense Approval Forms prior to event & corresponding invoices after event
- Invoices < $5,000
- Revenue/Expense Transfers
- Payment to Individuals < $5,000
- Purchase Requisitions < $5,000
- Student Billing
- Delegate limits may be adjusted by the University Controller at the Controller’s discretion and shall commensurate with the employee’s role within the organization as well as the department’s business procedures.
- Delegates may not approve transactions for themselves, their relatives, or approve transactions that directly benefit themselves, their relatives, an unrelated third party, or in any way, create a conflict of interest with the delegate’s responsibility to the University. Such transactions should be signed by the WISDM manager.
- Delegation of expense reimbursement requests is not covered by the signature authority form. The University Controller may approve such delegation as needed.