Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I enable Respondus Monitor or live video proctoring?
Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor can be activated for classic or new quizzes. You can also set up the Lockdown Browser to live proctor using Zoom or MS Teams.
Respondus offers many instructor trainings on LockDown Browser and Monitor, you can sign up here.
- Download the Lockdown Browser. It's recommended to download prior to each quiz to make sure they have the most up-to-date version.
- A good internet connection.
- A Mac or PC. Chromebooks have a beta version of Lockdown Browser that the instructor needs to enable when setting up the quiz.
- All students need webcams to complete an assessment with Monitor.
Steps to add to your quiz
- Create a Classic Quiz in your Canvas course (New Quizzes are able to be used with the Respondus Lockdown Browser)
- From the Course Navigation in Canvas, select Resondus LockDown Browser.
- If this is the first time selecting it, you will need to authorize the app.
- The next page will have resources. At the bottom right click Continue to LockDown Browser.
- A list of quizzes in the course will be displayed.
- Click the arrow to the left of the quiz title and select Settings.
- After you select Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam additional settings will be available.
A. Monitor Webcam Settings
- Select Require Respondus Monitor for this exam.
- Select the startup sequence items you will require for your quiz.
- Select any additional Facial Detection Options or Advanced Settings.
- When you save, the quiz will have Requires Respondus LockDown Browser + webcam added to the title.
B. Live Proctoring Settings
- Select Allow instructor live proctoring for this exam.
- Select the video conferencing system you will be using.
- Create a Start code you will provide to students while you are in the conferencing system.
- Using your chosen conferencing system, create a meeting that you will share with your students prior to taking the exam.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure you learn about the technology as it isn't as easy as 'flipping a switch' -- here are some resources from the company.
- There is a Help Center at the top of browser students can access if they are having difficulties during the quiz.
- Respondus Monitor video retention is 30 months. They are removed based on the date they are recorded, not the date the course ends.
- Average video processing time is 12 hours, may take up to 48 hours.
- To use the Lockdown browser with New Quizzes students need to navigate to the quiz through a regular browser first to launch the Lockdown Browser.