Canvas - Creating a Master Course
Instructors can request additional master courses as needed. Master courses can be used as sandboxes for course development, but are for development use only. You are unable to enroll students in a master course.
In order to use the Master Course creation tool, you must be enrolled in an existing course as a Teacher AND you must be accessing the Canvas dashboard using your institution specific link (see below).
Create your Master Course
There is a self service form available inside of Canvas that can be accessed by any Teacher.
- Login to Canvas and load your Dashboard.
- Click on the Help icon on the Global Navigation bar.
- Select the Create a Master Course menu option.
- Enter the Course Name, Course Code and choose the best Department for your course.
- Click on Create Course.
- Follow the link to access your new Master course!
- Make sure you are accessing Canvas using your institutions website address. Sometimes, you will see uws.instructure.com which will still work for your courses, but the master course creation tool will not work correctly in those circumstances. Check to make sure you are using the correct canvas website address for your institutions:
- Eau Claire: http://uweau.instructure.com
- Green Bay: http://uwgby.instructure.com
- La Crosse: http://uwlac.instructure.com
- Milwaukee: http://uwmil.instructure.com
- Oshkosh: http://uwosh.instructure.com
- Parkside: http://uwpks.instructure.com
- Platteville: http://uwplt.instructure.com
- River Falls: http://uwrvf.instructure.com
- Stevens Point: http://uwstp.instructure.com
- Stout: http://uwsto.instructure.com
- Superior: http://uwsup.instructure.com
- Whitewater: http://uwwtw.instructure.com
- Master courses can only be created by Teachers or Administrators. If you are a Teacher and do not see the option, please contact Canvas 24/7/365 Support.