Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Collaborate Ultra- How do I create breakout groups?
Moderators have the ability to break participants into groups (separate from the main room) during a Collaborate Ultra session. These breakout groups can be used for group work, small group discussions, student presentations, etc. The breakout groups have their own normal Collaborate Ultra functions (Chat, video, audio, whiteboard, etc.). However, the interaction that occurs in the breakout groups cannot be recorded.
- At the lower right, click on the Collaborate icon (purple arrow).
- Select the square icon with the arrow pointing right (Share Content).
- Click on the Breakout Groups tab.
- Open the dropdown menu in the Assign Groups area.
- If you want participants to be able to switch from group to group click Allow participants to switch groups
- If you select Custom assignment you will have the ability to assign participants to groups. Select the attendee’s option menu and select the group. Or, you could select the participant and drag them to a group of your choice.
- If you select Randomly assign participants (this is only an option when there are four or more participants in a session) the groups will be automatically created for you. If you want to change how many participants are in a group select the number of groups menu and make the change. You can change group assignment by clicking on Reassign attendees.
- To add additional groups click the plus sign (create new group) in the circle centered above the existing groups and trash can.
- Select start.
- To end the breakouts click end breakout groups either in the attendee’s panel or the share files panel.
Tips & Tricks
- You can move from group to group. Simply go to the attendees panel and select join groups for the group you wish to be added to.
- You can also move participants from one group to another. Select a participant in the Attendees panel. Click on move to another group. You can select the Attendees options menu and then pick the group you want to move them to. Another option would be to drag the participant to a different group.
- Share a file with the groups: First select Share files, then in the files open area select the file you want to share and then click Share with groups. Chose the groups you want to share to and select Share now.
- Blackboard guide: Collaborate Ultra Breakout Groups
- Blackboard guide: Collaborate Ultra Experience Help