[COVID-19] HR employee resources - return to on campus interviewing
This informational guide informs search committees on the safeguards they should consider for returning to on-campus interviews.
Below is suggested language that you can provide to candidates prior to arriving for their interview.
What you can send/communicate to the candidate
Before the interview: Let the candidate(s) know that UWL is asking anyone, who comes to campus to take our symptom check at least an hour before the interview. If any symptoms are present, the candidate should inform the search committee and the interview will need to be rescheduled.
Arriving to campus: Designate one of the committee members to be a point of contact for the candidate(s). Let them know that if they have their own cloth or medical face mask, that they should wear it once they are on campus. If the candidate(s) do not have one, one can be made available to them. Provide the candidate(s) with the phone number or meet them at the door to the building in which the interview will be conducted. Campus will remain closed to public visitors until August 17, 2020, (that is a tentative date and subject to change).
Note: Hand sanitizer will be made available to the hiring committee upon request; however, please do not use this a substitute to proper, frequent, hand washing. If you have been exposed to a location or someone who has been exposed or has tested positive for COVID-19, the interview will need to be rescheduled. If you would like paper and writing utensil, please bring your own.
If you need accommodations, please contact the hiring authority or human resources at email@example.com.
In-Person Interview Guidelines
- Anyone showing symptoms from the symptom check will have to be excused from the interview, or the interview will need to be rescheduled after a minimum of fourteen days; however, the hiring committee may decide to conduct the interview virtually instead of waiting the 14 days.
- If the hiring committee decides to interview one person virtually, the same must be done to all candidates.
- Maintain social distancing while on campus.
- Make sure someone from the hiring committee is identified to sanitize the area before and after the interview.
- Per CDC guidelines, all interviews should be no contact, meaning there should be no handshakes or demonstrations that may require physical proximity or contact with others.
- Use a room large enough to accommodate social distancing
- It is recommended that rooms on the second or third floor of the Student Union be used as they are large enough to accommodate a larger group.
- No refreshments can be offered nor should the hiring committee entertain the candidate(s) with a meal – either onsite or offsite.
- Provide sanitizer in a prominent place. Lead by using it.
- Reduce any supplies provided to the candidate (i.e. paper, pen), it can be suggested they bring their own.
- As a reminder, HIPAA guidelines prohibit hiring committees from inquiring about someone’s medical history. If the candidate does not disclose, do not ask. If they do request an accommodation for any reason, please contact HR for further partnership on how to move forward with the interview.
- Based on Equal Employment Opportunities, employers cannot make a hiring decision on accommodation requests.
Q1. Do I need to hold an in-person interview?
No, hiring committees do not need to have an in-person interviews. However, it is recommended, that for finalists, they be provided the opportunity to visit campus to better acquaint themselves with UWL and the campus community.
Q2. Do I need to wear a face mask?
Face masks must be worn.
Q3. What if I don’t feel good before the interview?
Complete the symptom check questionnaire and follow up with the hiring manager or the candidate to reschedule
Q4. What if I live with someone high risk?
This can be a discussion with the hiring authority. While safety precautions are taken to fulfill the safest environment possible, you can discuss your needs with the hiring authority or HR.
Q5. Who do we invite for an in-person interview?
In-person interview(s) should be reserved for final candidates only.
Q6. What if the candidate requests a virtual interview instead of an in-person?
As mentioned, for equity, all interviews should follow the same format; however, in this case, if an in-person interview is scheduled and the candidate opts for a virtual interview, the search committee may honor this request. For additional consultation and information, contact Human Resources.
- UW La-Crosse COVID-19 Updates and Alerts: https://www.uwlax.edu/info/covid-19/
- UW-La Crosse Instructors Information: https://www.uwlax.edu/academic-affairs/covid-19/spring-2020/
- CDC health and safety guidelines: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html
- UW-La Crosse Facilities Planning and Management COVID-19 Face Masks & Disinfecting Supplies Information: https://www.uwlax.edu/fpm/covid-19-supplies/
- COVID-19 Supplies Ordering Request: https://iservicedesk.uwlax.edu/
- UW System Administration FAQ on COVID-19: https://www.wisconsin.edu/coronavirus/frequently-asked-questions/
- UW System COVID-19 Policy Resources: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/coronavirus-covid-19-policy-resources/
- UW-La Crosse Guidlines for COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Work Area: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/offices-services/fpm/uwl-cleaning--disinfecting-your-work-space.pdf
- UW-La Crosse Custodial COVID-19 Services: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/offices-services/fpm/uwl-custodial-services-covid-19.pdf
- UW-La Crosse Information Technology Services, Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Tech Equipment: https://kb.uwlax.edu/103165
- UW-La Crosse Return to Work Online Training Module: https://uwlac.instructure.com/enroll/7WYNBD