Topics Map > Human Resources

HR employee resources - Graduate and Teaching Assistants

This guide provides information and resources for Graduate Assistants and Teaching Assistants as it relates to employment.

Graduate assistants are graduate students who hold an appointment which is intended to primarily further the education and training of the student.   Graduate assistantships include teaching (TA), research (RA), and program (PA) assistantships. To apply, graduate students communicate directly with the department of intended degree work.  Eligibility information can be found in Records and Registration's graduate catalog information.

 Important information for graduate assistants

Graduate assistants are paid a salary on the monthly payroll. As with other salaried employees at UW-La Crosse, contracts are sent by Human Resources and must be signed and returned by the student. Graduate assistants are expected to be on campus on the date their contract begins.

Students will need to provide appropriate original identification for form I-9 on or before their contracted start date. Examples of acceptable documentation include passport, photo ID AND social security card, or photo ID AND birth certificate (photo copies not accepted -- see full list on last page of form I-9)

Questions about graduate assistant appointments and pay can be directed to the assistantship supervisor or to the HR office.

Information for international graduate assistants

Both F-1 and J-1 student visa regulations require students to be enrolled full-time each fall and spring semester. Unless otherwise obligated by the requirements of their program or special circumstances as already described, full-time enrollment is defined as no less than 9 graduate-level credits during the fall and spring semesters. Summer enrollment is not required by the U.S. federal government regulations for F-1/J-1 visa holders. However, summer enrollment may be required due to other circumstances; see summer enrollment requirements for capstone continuation, graduate assistantships, and program progress. Failure to maintain full-time status can result in loss of F-1/J-1 student benefits. Any exceptions to full-time enrollment must be authorized by the Office of International Education (OIE). Permission by OIE to drop below full-time enrollment does NOT exempt an international student from meeting the enrollment requirement for assistantships.

Keywordsgraduate assistant, teaching assistant, GA, TA, GA/TA   Doc ID104327
OwnerCarri O.GroupUW-La Crosse
Created2020-07-24 10:01:37Updated2020-07-24 10:01:43
SitesUW-La Crosse
Feedback  0   0