Topics Map > Client Services
Topics Map > ATS
Topics Map > CATL
Closed Captioning (CC) Services for Media at UWL
Information regarding closed captioning (CC) services for media available at UWL.
Captioning Capabilities of Content Creation and Management Tools and Video Conferencing Platforms
Closed captioning enhances the principles of universal design for viewers and learners. Instructors are encouraged to be proactive and provide CC with video materials used for teaching. Video content associated with any UWL public facing materials should also be captioned (e.g. promotional videos). Captioning provides an additional representation of information.
|MyMedia - Mediasite||Mediasite (Captioning) - Adding and Editing Captions||Not Applicable||Yes - Machine||Yes - Using Vendor|
|MyMedia - Kaltura||Kaltura (Captioning) - Adding and Editing Captions||Not Applicable||Yes - Machine||Yes - Using Vendor|
WebEx - Cisco
|Yes - per a volunteer participate||Yes - Machine if event recorded|
|Teams - Microsoft||Office 365 - Microsoft Teams - Use Live Captions in a Teams Meeting||Yes - machine captions||Yes - Machine if event recorded|
|Collaborate Ultra - Blackboard||Yes - per a volunteer participate||Yes - Machine if event recorded|
- Machine captioning uses a built-in artificial intelligence
- Human captioning is done by a person, either a paid transcription, meeting participant or after the fact
- Synchronous means that it is happening in real time during the event
- Asynchronous means that is is available at anytime since it is a recording
If an instructor has a student with a documented disability who needs captioning, please contact the ACCESS Center at email@example.com or 608.785.6900. They will assist you with your captioning request. Instructors should also review the ACCESS Center’s material on captioning.
Captioning for externally or already created video materials:
- Contact the Eagle Help Desk to learn about UWL's Closed Captioning (CC) Services for media. A third-party vendor provides transcription services at a per-minute charge. The Eagle Help Desk will provide information about setting up the account with the vendor.
Captioning for video conference and/or lecture capture media:
Speech-to-text real time captioning for video conference (will not be ADA compliant unless editable)
- Live captions real time in Teams – not savable or editable
- Enabling captioning instructions for recorded WebEx sessions - no known editing capabilities
- Collaborate Ultra
- Captions in Collaborate - moderator can make attendees captioners for real time captioning - will not be ADA compliant
- Adding captions to recorded Collaborate sessions – use Kaltura (see above – potentially ADA compliant)
*Note: Due to high level of variation in the quality of captioning, it is important that the ACCESS Center is consulted when the CC is being generated/created for a student with a documented disability. A staff member with a documented need for accommodation should work through Human Resources.