Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I enable and use Zoom?
Zoom is an approved integration in Canvas, making it easier for instructors and students to access course content and online sessions all in one place.
If you enable Zoom in your course, you will want to disable Collaborate Ultra. (This is recommended so students will know where you expect them to join meetings; there may be cases you want both enabled). Even if you do not enable Zoom in Canvas, you can always add session links to your modules or link within a page, discussion, assignment, etc.
Creating meetings in Canvas
After you have enabled Zoom in your course navigation:
- If it's the first time logging into Zoom you will need to activate your account; you will get an email to activate. Then refresh your page in Canvas.
- Start scheduling meetings in your course.
- You can also create meetings directly in Zoom and import into the course with the Meeting ID (Example: 598-378-174). When you are in Zoom for your course, locate the three vertical dots in the top right corner (next to Schedule a New Meeting) to import.
*If you want to pre-assign breakout rooms, you have to create the groups in either the Zoom browser (https://uwlax-edu.zoom.us/) or the Zoom desktop client. These groups are created by adding students emails so when you are creating the meeting you will need to check the box Require authentication to join. Students will then sign into the Zoom meeting by using their UWL emails.
Joining/starting a meeting
Once you have created meetings, you can start the meeting from the Zoom link in the Canvas course or through the Zoom webpage. Go to https://uwlax-edu.zoom.us and sign in to see a list of scheduled meetings.
- Zoom article: How do I record my sessions?
- Zoom article: How do I share my computer screen?
- Zoom article: Replying and managing chat messages
- Zoom article: How do I create breakout rooms? *preassigned breakout groups cannot be created through the Canvas integration.
- Zoom article: Polling for meetings
- Zoom article: My video/camera isn't working
- Zoom article: Audio echo in a meeting
- For help additional help with using Zoom, contact the Eagle Help Desk.