Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Collaborate Ultra- tricks to manage smaller "breakout" groups
Collaborate Ultra does not allow instructors to import or create groups and assign students ahead of a session. An instructor could create additional CU sessions for students to navigate to when needed or create breakout groups within a session and allow students to find their designated groups.
Creating breakout groups that allow students to join themselves
1. Make sure students know their group names.
2. During a Collaborate Ultra session, navigate to the Share Content icon.
3. Select Breakout Groups
4. Assign Groups should be set to Custom assignment
5. Check the box for Allow attendees to switch groups
6. Create as many groups as you need by selecting the plus icon in the circle. (Change group names if needed by clicking on the title and typing in new one, these will match up with #1).
7. Select Start
8. Students can use these directions to join their groups.
Keep an eye out for students raising their hands or sending chats with questions while they are in their groups.
Creating sessions for groups
Students are unable to create their own Collaborate Ultra sessions. If you want to provide them sessions within your course, you can create sessions labeled with their group name or the student's names. Along with the following settings.
1. Put in the end date as the end of the semester or select the No End (open session) check box.
2. On the settings tab, change the Attendee Role to Moderator so they will have the ability to share content and record if needed.
3. After you are done with the settings, select Create.
Students can then access these (at any time) by clicking on Collaborate Ultra and finding their session; either by scrolling through the list or searching at the top and clicking join.
Keep in mind: This does not sync with your already created groups in Canvas, students will have to find their own groups and it is possible they could join another group's session.