Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How can students annotate an assignment in the Canvas app?
At this time, students are unable to annotate assignments in Canvas through their web browsers, this has to be done in a separate program. However, if they have the Canvas Student app on their Android or iOS devices they can annotate directly in there and submit.
- When the creating the assignment the PDF needs to be linked in the assignment directions.
- The submission type also needs to be set up for online submissions including Files Uploads (for students that do not have the Canvas App to annotate).
Student view (images examples from Android device)
- After you log into the Canvas Student App, locate the course and the assignment to annotate.
- Find the PDF linked in the Description.
- Select the link and it will open the mark up view.
- Select the pencil icon (edit) to use the toolbar for adding text and drawings (see the Resource section for guides).
- After you are done, you can turn in the assignment (Android and iOS have different directions to submit, see Resources).
- Verify the assignment says Successfully submitted (may take a page refresh).
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to verify your assignment has been submitted.
- The Android and iOS steps to submit are very different, make sure you are using the right documentation for your device.
- If your device will not submit the assignment, try re-installing the app.
- For more Canvas Student app guides, check out the full list of Android guides and iOS guides.
- There is a Canvas request to expand annotation to the web browsers. Submit your vote for it and share with students and colleagues!
24/7/365 Canvas Support is available through the help icon in Canvas, by calling the phone support for faculty, staff and students.