Firefox (Win) - Changing the Default E-mail Program
This document details the process for changing the program that Firefox will open when a mailto link is selected.
This document provides directions for Firefox versions 3.0.x or 3.5.x for Windows 7, Vista, or XP. For older versions, see Windows - Setting the Default Mail Program.
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu, and select Options...
Select the Applications panel.
Search for the Content-type: mailto and select it.
Click on the Actions column in the mailto row, to change the action.
- Always ask will prompt you each time you use a mail function for which program or service to use.
- Use <Program> (default) will automatically launch your operating system's e-mail program (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook, Entourage, Evolution) to its message composition window.
- Use <Webmail> will open your webmail service's (e.g. Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, Hotmail) message composition page inside Firefox.
- Use other... will let you specify an external program for Firefox to launch.
- Application Details... will let you view information about or remove the webmail services that Firefox can use.