Firefox (Mac) - Changing the Default E-mail Program
This document details the process for changing the program that Firefox will open when a mailto is link selected.
This document provides directions for Firefox versions 3.0.x and higher for Mac OS X. For older versions, see Mac OS X - Setting the Default Mail Program.
On the menu bar, click on the Firefox menu, and select Preferences...
Select the Applications panel. If you don't see the Applications panel, click on the small oval in the upper right corner to reveal it.
Search for the Content-type: mailto and select it.
Click on the Actions column in the mailto row, to change the action.
- Always ask will prompt you each time you use a mail function for which program or service to use.
- Use <Program> (default) will automatically launch your operating system's e-mail program (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook, Entourage, Evolution) to its message composition window.
- Use <Webmail> will open your webmail service's (e.g. Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, Hotmail) message composition page inside Firefox.
- Use other... will let you specify an external program for Firefox to launch.
- Application Details... will let you view information about or remove the webmail services that Firefox can use.