Duo - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
This article contains important information about DUO.
What is multi-factor authentication (MFA) or 2-step authentication?
Multi-factor authentication is the process that requires multiple forms of authentication in order to log in. 2-step authentication is a type of multi-factor authentication that requires two identifiers to log in (i.e. your username/password and code from a physical device). Duo is this second identifier for logging in.
How does it protect my account?
When logging in you need your username/password along with the numerical code a Duo device generates. These codes change after a short time interval and can only be obtained from a Duo activated device which is assigned to your account. This makes your account more secure against online attacks and phishing because if your password becomes compromised, only you have access to the Duo device for your account.
What options do I have for Duo at UWL?
ITS strongly recommends that you use Duo Mobile on your smartphone as your main Duo device because you are more likely to have it on you.
ITS also recommends having at least two devices setup for 2-Step authentication (i.e. FOB and Duo Mobile, FOB and SMS/Text, SMS/Text and Duo Mobile, two devices using Duo Mobile like a smartphone and a tablet). Having at least two devices setup means you have a backup option if your primary device is forgotten, broken or lost. Backup devices alleviate the possibility of an emergency when traveling or after support hours. If you need an emergency passcode after hours please see Duo - One-Time Passcode or Bypass Code
To add one of the options below to your account see Duo - Adding a Device
- Available on iOS (iPhone/iPad), Android and Apple Watch.
- Easiest and fastest way to 2-Step. When using this a notification for approval is sent to the device you have Duo Mobile configured on and you choose Approve.
- No WiFi or cellular data, no problem. On your mobile device, simply open Duo Mobile, press the arrow icon at the end of "UW-La Crosse" to get a passcode then enter it on the logon screen that is prompting you (you may need to click "Enter Passcode.")
- SMS/Text is also available if you have configured a Smartphone with Duo Mobile (for more info see SMS/Text Message below).Hardware Token (FOB):
- Available to UWL employees (please call or visit the Eagle Help Desk)
- Available for purchase from the UWL Book Store for UWL students (must call or visit the Eagle Help Desk to add to your account).
- To use a FOB, choose an authentication device, click Enter a Passcode then type in the passcode that appears on your FOB after pressing the button.
- No WiFi or cellular data, no problem, this device does not require any.SMS/Text Message:
- Available on any cell phone or smart phone that can receive text messages (there is no fee from UWL to use this, though carrier charges may apply).
- This is a great backup option if you forget/lose your FOB and is nice to have after support hours. It is simple to setup and use and may save you a trip back to campus if you left your FOB at work.
- If you have already setup Duo Mobile on your phone then the SMS/Text message option is already setup for you. If you need to setup SMS follow the steps in Duo - Add a Device
- To use SMS/Text follow the steps in Duo - Using SMS/Text to Authenticate.
How do I get started with Duo?
If you are planning on using a Duo Mobile on a smartphone or tablet, then please use the enrollment link you received via email.
You can also get started by logging into one of your UWL accounts for the first time or by heading to the Duo Device Management Portal found at the password reset page (https://www.uwlax.edu/info/password-reset/).
I forgot my FOB/Phone what should I do?
Having a backup authentication device is key. At the top of this article is additional information regarding Duo Mobile and SMS/Text to help reduce the possibility of an emergency, especially after support hours. If you have lost your FOB please make sure to contact the Eagle Help Desk for assistance during support hours (see below).
During non-support hours or at your convenience, visit the Duo Device Management Portal on the password reset page at https://www.uwlax.edu/info/password-reset/ and send yourself a bypass code. Information on how to send yourself a Duo bypass code can be found here: Duo - One-Time Passcode or Bypass Code.
During support hours the Eagle Help Desk may be able to issue a Bypass Code which will allow you access to your Duo protected applications.
If you are unable to remove your phone from your devices please contact the Eagle Help Desk.
FOB's have a 2 year battery lifespan and once the battery dies the FOB needs to be replaced. If a FOB is not working and you're a faculty or staff member, then please contact the Eagle Help Desk. Students will have to purchase their own from the UWL Bookstore if it dies.
Still need help? Please contact the Eagle Help Desk