Soft Lock-Out Utility
Guide on how to understand and handle the soft lock-out utility
Symptoms (MUST MEET ALL SYMPTOMS):
- You are currently off-campus
- Can't log in to Canvas while off-campus
- Can't log in to Email while off-campus
- Can log in to Wings while off-campus
How to unlock your account:
- Please verify you are experiencing all the symptoms above.
- Please go to our password reset page at https://www.uwlax.edu/info/password-reset/ to obtain your public IP address found at the bottom of the page next to Your public IP Address is: <your public IP address>.
- Please use your personal email to contact the Eagle Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org in the following format:
- Subject: Please white-list <your public IP address>
- Body: Please white-list <your public IP address> for UWL NetID <your UWL NetID>
- Alternatively, please contact the Eagle Help Desk at 608.785.8774 and request that your public IP address be white-listed.
How to access your accounts while you are still experiencing a soft lock-out:
It is still possible to access your UWL email/canvas/organizational accounts while off-campus during a lock-out by using a Virtual Desktop.
- Please go to https://virtual.uwlax.edu/ .
- Select "VMware Horizon HTML Access".
- Enter your netID and password. Select "Login".
- Select "General Desktop".
- Your web browser is now acting as a campus computer. Wait until you see a normal desktop in your web browser window. This may take several minutes.
- In your web browser window, open Google Chrome. Go to https://www.uwlax.edu/
- You will now have access to any locked-out accounts.
How does the soft lock-out work?
- The soft lock-out occurs when your IP address is recognized as being malicious.
- This tool is in place to protect our university accounts from "brute force attacks", where an attacker tries to guess a password by continuously sending authentication requests.
- The soft lock-out tool restricts access to your account after 6 bad attempts
- The soft lock-out, however, only affects services that authenticate through ADFS, which are anything that has you log in with your "organizational account" (Canvas, Email, Support.uwlax, etc).