Traveling with Technology Overseas - Faculty/Staff
When traveling overseas with your computer, here are some helpful tips to ensure a safe and technology-effective trip.
1. Double check your password has been updated and it will not expire while out of the country. Remember passwords expire every 180 days.
- UWL-owned Macs: Please use Enterprise Connect that is pre-loaded on your UWL Mac to change or update your password.
- Information about Enterprise Connect: https://kb.uwlax.edu/internal/85618.
2. Be extra responsible and careful of your UWL laptop and/or device(s) to prevent theft.
3. Apply any pending software updates to your UWL laptop and/or devices(s) before leaving the U.S.
- Contact the Eagle Help Desk or your department's dedicated ITS Desktop Support for further assistance and/or questions about your software updates.
4. Make sure you will have access to a Duo device and it is working properly before leaving the country. A Duo fob is the best alternative if you do not have access to a mobile phone. However, if you will have access to your mobile phone, but you will not have access to the network, please ensure that Duo Mobile is downloaded on your mobile phone before leaving the country because your mobile phone can still produce Duo passcodes just by clicking into the Duo Mobile app while off the network.
5. Connect to the UWL VPN (Virtual Private Network) called Cisco AnyConnect when using your UWL laptop out of the country.
- Information about the VPN: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/network-telecom/vpn-virtual-private-network/
- Faculty/Staff with VPN already downloaded: https://kb.uwlax.edu/internal/61168
- If using a personal device, then you can download the VPN. Information about that can be found here: https://kb.uwlax.edu/internal/page.php?id=93359