Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I use the inbox?
The Inbox is a way for you communicate with other Canvas users and is similar to email but resides in Canvas rather than Outlook. Conversations are available via the Inbox tab in the Global Navigation Bar on the left side of your screen. Your most recently received messages appear at the top, although you can change how your conversations are filtered. For example, you can look at messages specific to one course. You can send a message to your entire class or can search for recipients in a specific course, section, or group.
Canvas Article: How do I use the Inbox as an instructor?
Canvas Article: How do I find my unread messages in the Inbox as an instructor?
Canvas Article: How do I filter conversations as an instructor?
Canvas Article: How do I reply to a message in the Inbox as an instructor?
Tips and Tricks
- Set up your notifications to specify how you are contacted if you are added to a conversation, receive a message in your inbox, or create a conversation.
- Select the Send an individual message to each recipient checkbox so students cannot see who else was included.
- You can attach files and media comments to messages you send.
- When part of a group conversation it is possible to respond privately to one individual.
- Conversations can be forwarded to other users.
- Conversations in your inbox can be deleted or archived. Note that you cannot archive sent messages.