Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I copy from one Canvas course to another?
You can copy course content such as assignments, modules, pages, and discussions from previous Canvas courses into existing courses. You only have access to copy content from courses from current or previous courses in which you are an enrolled user.
- Canvas guide: How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?
- Canvas guide: How do I select specific content as part of a course import?
- Canvas guide: How do I export a Canvas course?
- Canvas guide: How do I import a Canvas course export package?
- Canvas guide: How do I copy an announcement to another course?
- Canvas guide: How do I copy an assignment to another course?
- Canvas guide: How do I copy a discussion to another course?
- Canvas guide: How do I copy a module to another course?
- Canvas guide: How do I copy a module item to another course?
- Canvas guide: How do I copy a page to another course?
- Canvas guide: How do I copy a classic quiz to another course?
- Canvas guide: How do I copy a new quiz to another course?
Content that will not transfer
The following will not copy into a course and will need to be recreated for each course.
- Student enrollments/submissions (synced with WINGS)
- Zoom links
- Media Gallery content
Tips and Tricks
- Importing a course more than once may have unintended consequences.
- Enrollment-related data; course users, groups, sections are not included.
- If you teach a course with the same name multiple times, it may be hard to identify the exact course you want to copy content from. It is suggested that you update the names of your courses to not only include the course title as pushed from WINGS, but to also include the semester or section number. This will make an exact Canvas course easier to find.
- If you have several old announcements in the course that you are copying over and copy all content, these announcements will appear in the new course and need to be deleted one by one if you do not want them in the new course. In this case it is suggested that you copy only a subset of the content.
- As part of a course import, you can adjust the due dates associated with course events and assignments. You can also shift due dates to a different day or remove all associated due dates.