Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I easily grade student work?
You can set up quizzes, discussions, homework, and exams through Canvas to streamline grading and help maintain the one-stop shopping idea for students.
Grading Student Work
- Create an assignment in Canvas.
- Once an assignment has been created, if it’s one that has a specific answer (such as multiple choice, true false, fill in the blank, matching, etc), just use the quizzing tool in Canvas to set this up so it will do the grading for you.
- The quizzing tool in Canvas has a lot of features and there is a wealth of information to answer questions about them here.
- For exams that have both multiple choice and free response sections, it may be helpful to split these up as 2 separate assignments, e.g. quiz for multiple choice component, assignment with an online submission (pdf or doc file) for the remainder.
- Students can easily respond to long answer/free response/essay questions without printing out an exam. Just upload your assignment/exam questions to your Canvas assignment. Students can then write out their responses on any paper. They can use any scanner app (Genius Scan, CamScanner, Adobe Scan, etc) to convert an image to a PDF they can upload to Canvas.
- Once students have submitted their work, you can use SpeedGrader to go through submissions quickly and provide feedback EASILY within Canvas.
Editorial note from an instructor who has used it: SpeedGrader is awesome because you can use rubrics, provide feedback directly on a student’s submission, or even record your feedback as audio for students to listen to. Very fast and intuitive to use.