Creating & Sharing a Link on how to Pronounce Your Name: For Students
Let instructors and classmates hear how to pronounce your name. Add a link of an audio clip of how to pronounce to your Canvas profile. This article outlines a few ways to create and share this link.
Create Your Audio Clip:
- Option 1: Use Kaltura Capture
- Option 2: Use an online tool
- Option 3: Use another audio on your computer and save it to the web.
Add Your Pronunciation Link:
Create Your Audio Clip
- Open Kaltura Capture. (* Don’t have Kaltura Capture? This article will walk you through how to get it.)
- Create an audio-only recording: screen off, camera off, audio on. In your recording, speak your first and last names. Speak slowly and articulate both names. Pause between your names.
- Name your recording accurately (i.e. Pronounce First Last)
- Save & Upload
- Login to mediaspace.wisconsin.edu and navigate to your videos list
- Select the pronunciation recording you uploaded.
- Under the right hand corner, select the dropdown “Actions”
- Click “Publish”
- Change the publishing status to “Unlisted” and hit Save
- Get the link to share by going to the “Share” tab and selecting “Link to Media Page”
- COPY this link to your clipboard to use in your Canvas Profile
Create an account with a free online tool such as NameCoach to create your recording. Get the link to the pronunciation page to add to your Canvas Profile.
There are other options that might work better for you based on what you have used/have access to on your device. Technologies like QuickTime and Audacity can create audio files; you can upload these files to Kaltura, YouTube, One Drive, etc. to generate a link to the recording. The link is what you need to add to your Canvas profile.
Add Your Pronunciation Link
- Login to Canvas
- Go to your Account > Profile > Edit Profile
- Add a link > title/URL (ex. Title: Here is how to pronounce my name. ---> URL: enter the link)
- Save Profile
- Login to your email via Outlook for the web
- Go to Settings > Email Signature
- Add signature information you'd like included including a link title "Hear my name" (or something similar) with a link to the file you just created