Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I enable Respondus Lockdown Browser?
With Respondus Lockdown Browser, students cannot: print, copy, or go to another website—everything is locked down until the exam is submitted for grading.
- A good internet connection.
- Students have a one-time installation of LockDown Browser, they will download this directly from the quiz. It's recommended students download prior to each quiz to make sure they have the most up-to-date version. You can help with this process by having a practice quiz in your course students can use to download
- Students need to use a Mac or PC. Chromebooks have a beta extension that can work with Respondus. Instructors need to set up in Advanced settings of Respondus.
Steps to add to your quiz
To set up a quiz in Canvas that requires students to use LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
- Create a Quiz in your Canvas course (New Quizzes are now able to work with the LockDown Browser).
- From the Course Navigation in Canvas, select Respondus LockDown Browser.
- If this is the first time selecting it, you will need to authorize the app.
- The next page will have resources. At the bottom right click Continue to LockDown Browser.
- A list of quizzes in the course will be displayed.
- Click the arrow to the left of the quiz title and select Settings.
- After you select Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam additional settings will be available.
- When you are finished with the settings and save, the quiz will have Requires Respondus LockDown Browser added to the title.
- Allow access to specific web resource within a quiz. When creating the quiz, link directly in your quiz question.
- Go to LockDown Browser tool
- Settings of quiz> Advances Settings
- Allow access to specific external web domains (commas between web resources, do not use www)
If website is not enabled in these settings, students will only have access to the one page/article that is linked.
- Web based spreadsheet
- Enable calculator on the toolbar: standard or scientific
Tips & Tricks
- Respondus LockDown Browser can be used with Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes.
- There is a Help Center at the top of browser students can access if they are having difficulties during the quiz.