HR employee resources - Compensation and pay
This guide is to be used as a resource for employees to find additional information regarding their compensation and applicable policies.
In order to fulfill its mission, the UW System shall maintain a comprehensive compensation program directed toward attracting, retaining and rewarding a qualified and diverse workforce. Employee compensation shall be externally competitive, internally equitable, and shall reward contribution, recognize quality performance, and encourage growth and development.
Last reviewed was July 2020
- Compensation within the UW System: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/compensation/#policy
- Framework for Pay Plan Distribution: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/uw-system-pay-plan-distribution-framework-for-university-workforce/
- Information on UWL Performance Management: https://kb.uwlax.edu/103703
- Information on UWL Pay Plan: https://kb.uwlax.edu/103700
- Resources on Compensation: https://www.uwlax.edu/human-resources/services/classification-and-compensation/compensation/
- Recruitment Resources: https://www.uwlax.edu/human-resources/services/talent-acquisition-and-employment/recruitment/
- Guide to Faculty Promotion: Coming soon
- Guide to IAS Promotion: https://kb.uwlax.edu/104056
- NIAS Career Progression: https://kb.uwlax.edu/103705
The Budget Office maintains salary and compensation related elements of the position; Human Resources maintains titling and classification.
Links to related information:
- Employment Types: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/hr/emplcat/
- Information on Faculty Appointments: http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/uws/3
- Information on Academic Staff Appointments: http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/uws/10
- Title Definitions: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/title-definitions/
- University Staff Titles and Compensation: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/policies/title-comp/
- UW System Administrative Procedure 1277.B Compensation: Merit Pay: https://www.wisconsin.edu/uw-policies/uw-system-administrative-policies/compensation/compensation-merit-pay/
- Remuneration and Release Time for Department Chairs: https://kb.uwlax.edu/103702
- Student Appointments and Wages: https://kb.uwlax.edu/103699
- UW-La Crosse Payroll Policy: https://kb.uwlax.edu/103691