Phishing - What To Do When You're Account Has Been Marked As A Spam Account and How To Fix It
Explanation of what happens when accounts are flagged as spam and what the user needs to do to re-secure their account.
If you have clicked on a phishing link and your account starts spamming others with phishing emails, then Microsoft will flag your account and mark it as a spam account.
1. All forwarding rules are removed from your Exchange Mailbox.
- Sometimes when accounts are spammed, forwarding rules are put in place.
- Forwarding will send all emails intended for your inbox to another account's inbox.
- ITS deletes the email address put in the forwarding box to make sure your emails are still going to your account.
- Sometimes when accounts are spammed, inbox rules are put in place.
- Inbox rules have many capabilities. For example, a rule could send your mail straight to the trash, send your mail to spam, etc.
- ITS deletes any rules that could have been placed to make sure your emails are going into your inbox.
- When ITS sees that your account has been flagged for spam, ITS immediately changes your password to make sure the spammer does not have access to your account anymore.
- This means that you will not be able to sign into Canvas, email, WINGS, or any other university account until you change your password.