Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I create groups?
Using groups, you can allow your students to work together on assignments. You can allow students to form their own groups, manually place them in groups, or have them randomly assigned to a group. Once groups have been created, you can assign grades to a group, send messages to groups, and assign group discussions. Also, each group will have access to its own group home page, which will allow them to add and edit pages, create their own group discussions, and more. The group home page will be visible to you as an instructor.
- Canvas article: How do I add a group set in a course?
- Canvas article: How do I edit a group set in a course?
- Canvas article: How do I automatically create groups in a group set?
- Canvas article: How do I manually create groups in a group set?
- Canvas article: How do I create self sign-up groups in a group set?
- Canvas article: How do I allow students to create their own student groups?
- Canvas article: How do I view all groups in a course as an instructor?
- Canvas article: How do I automatically assign students to groups?
- Canvas article: How do I manually assign students to groups?
- Canvas article: How do I prevent students from switching groups in self sign-up groups?
- Canvas article: How do I move a student into a different group?
- Canvas article: How do I assign an assignment to a course group?
- Canvas article: How do I create a group discussion in a course?
- Canvas article: How do I assign a graded discussion to a course group?
- Canvas article: How do I grade group assignments in SpeedGrader?
- Canvas article: How do I view content and student activity within a group as an instructor?
Tips and Tricks
- When students are added to a group, they do not know which course the group is for. It is suggested that you include the course name, number, and section in the name of each group you create so that students know which class the group is for.
- We do not recommend assigning group leaders. Students are not notified when they are named group leaders, and they have almost no extra abilities.
- The Canvas guides say that students will be able to access their groups through the People tab, but students will not have access to the People tab for FERPA reasons. Students may access groups that they are in through Groups in the Global Navigation Bar or the home page of the class in which they have a group. Course Groups are shown in the sidebar under the To Do section.
- You can move students within groups. However, changes should be made before assigning a group to an assignment. If a student is added to or removed from a group after receiving submissions, the submissions and grades may not align correctly. If a student is added to a group after the group submission, any re-submissions will overwrite the original submission; all previous grades will remain but the Gradebook will show the assignment was resubmitted since last graded. If you want to move a group member with a graded submission, you may want to clone the group set instead.