Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I create an assignment?
Assignments will need to be created for any item the instructor wishes to appear in the gradebook. As an instructor, you can create a variety of assignment types for your students, including online submission, paper submissions, quizzes, and discussion posts. Assignments can be categorized into groups and weighted.
Canvas Article: What assignment types can I create in a course?
Canvas Article: How do I add an assignment group in a course?
Canvas Article: How do I create an assignment?
Canvas Article: How do I create an online assignment?
Canvas Article: How do I add or edit details in an assignment?
Canvas Article: How do I move or reorder an assignment?
Canvas Article: How do I delete an assignment?
Canvas Article: How do I duplicate an assignment?
Tips and Tricks
- In addition to adding due dates to your Canvas assignments, you can also specify the date range in which the assignment is available to students.
- If you use assignment groups in your course, it is possible to add rules for assignment group, such as dropping the lowest two assignments in a group.
- You can create assignments that do not count toward the final grade in the course.
- By default, assignments you create in your course will be assigned to everyone. You can specify a due date and availability dates that apply to everyone. You can also assign an assignment to an individual student,course section,or course group. This will allow you to have different due dates for different students if desired.
- Students always have the option to resubmit their Canvas assignments. As an instructor, you can decide how to handle assignment resubmissions.