Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - Step-by-step guide to easily record/upload with Kaltura
Here’s the condensed step-by-step information for using Kaltura.You will find links to existing guides and videos to show you how to easily record/upload my lectures.
- Your lecture can easily be recorded for asynchronous learning/access (meaning students can access it whenever they want.
- The easiest way to do this is through My Media (Kaltura) in Canvas.
- Start by enabling the My Media app in Canvas. In your course, navigate to Settings, then Navigation, then drag My Media from the bottom list of items to the top list. Be sure to click Save to enable this function. A video showing how to do this is found here: How to Enable Kaltura My Media in Canvas
- Once you have My Media enabled, there are a bunch of options for uploading content. The first time you click My Media, you will be asked to authorize it. Click authorize.
- If you are capturing a lecture, click on the blue icon that says,“Add New” and choose Kaltura capture.
- Once you do so, you will see an image that says “The Kaltura Desktop Recorder” and at the bottom will be a link to download the necessary software.
- Once you have downloaded the desktop recorder, click on My Media again in your navigation links (left). Follow steps 5 and 6 again. This time you will see that there is a pop-up message that says “Open KalturaCapture?” and choose “Open KalturaCapture” to launch the desktop app.
- When the app opens, you will be able to choose how and what you want to record: audio, camera, or screen (either a full screen or specific area). Instructions for this (as well as a helpful video) are found here: https://kb.uwlax.edu/90264
- Kaltura is also cool because it allows you to caption your videos fairly quickly. Go here for complete details: https://kb.uwlax.edu/90376
- Once you have your video published, it’s available in your Canvas page. To share it, you can either post it in a module, or you can embed it anywhere that allows you to add text. Go here for complete details: https://kb.uwlax.edu/91056
Allow students to download videos
Use the Kaltura - Advanced Video Embed Options - to share the video with the "Download and Share" player. You will select these settings when you use the rich-text editor to select the Blue V > My Media. The Shareable Player has a download button in the upper right hand corner. -- see these directions: https://kb.wisconsin.edu/dle/91698 (note the image says "Shareable player" when it is now actually called "Download and Share").