Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I add a Zoom office hour link to multiple courses?
This KB will cover how to add a Zoom meeting link to various locations in a Canvas course.
Canvas Course Linking Options
- Adding link to announcement, page, etc
You can add your office hours link anywhere you can add text. Some locations to consider might be the syllabus, announcements, linked in a module, or a page that is linked in a module (such as course information) see example page above or even multiple modules. The location all depends on your module layout. Make sure it's somewhere easy for students to locate.
Check out these Canvas guides for more information on how to create each:
- How do I use the syllabus as an instructor?
- How do I add an announcement to a course?
- How do I add an external URL as a module item?
- How do I create a new page in a course?
- Adding link to a course calendar
By adding a link as an event in your calendar it will show up for students on the Syllabus page along with the students calendar. Follow these directions provided by Canvas to create an event. When it comes time to add your link, you can put it in either the Location or the Description (found by selecting more options).
- Adding link to side navigation with Redirect link
The Redirect Tool adds a link to a website URL in your left hand course navigation. You can add multiple redirect links within a course.
- To add this to your navigation, go to the Settings of your course.
- Select the Apps tab.
- You will see a list of External Apps where you will locate and select the curved blue arrow icon.
- Select +Add App to open the additional options.
- You will need to name the link, add the URL (in this case your Zoom link) and select the checkbox for Show in Course Navigation.
- When you have that complete select Add App.
To delete or change the Redirect Link, on the same Apps page, select the gray button in the top right "View App Configurations" and locate the name you gave the link. By clicking the settings icon to the right of it you can Edit or Delete the app. If you want the item disabled from your course navigation but not deleted, you can disable it from the Navigation tab within Settings.
Tips & Tricks
- If you want to setup office hours specific to one class, you can add a recurring meeting via the Canvas Zoom integration. Students can access the link from that area of the course.
- A Zoom meeting that is inactive for 45 minutes will be closed. Use the “Macaulay Culkin” trick! Join the meeting from an additional device so it appears you are not "alone" in the meeting.
- When using your personal meeting ID, it is advised to set the "waiting room" feature for your personal room so individuals need to be permitted to join.
- Up to 50 meetings can be created with a recurring meeting. If you will be having more than that and need to use the same link every time you will want to use the No Fixed Time option under the recurring meeting set-up.