Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I add content to my course Home page (Modules)?
The default Home page in Canvas is Modules, so the organizational structure you want on your Home page can be set up either through the Home page directly or through Modules. Modules are the main organizational tool in Canvas. Within individual modules, you can link to Pages, Assignments, Quizzes, or add Files for students to view.
Canvas Article: How do I add a module?
Canvas Article: How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?
Canvas Article: How do I add an external URL as a module item?
Canvas Article: How do I add a text header as a module item?
Canvas Article: How do I move or reorder a module?
Canvas Article: How do I edit a module?
Canvas Article: How do I edit module items?
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to publish the modules that you want students to have access to.
- Modules can be set to have prerequisites or requirements so that students cannot view some items until completing others. If requirements are set, you can view the progress of students in moving through the modules.
- You can set modules to be locked until a given date. Students will be able to see the module titles and module item names, but they will not be able to access the module items until after the lock date has passed.
- Depending on the structure of your course, you may choose to create modules for your course according to week, course topic, or type.
- Instead of linking numerous files directly to Home/Modules, consider placing similar type files as links within a Page and only linking the Page to Home/Modules. This can help declutter Home/Modules and make items easier for students to find.