Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I add content to my course Home page (Modules)?
The default Home page in Canvas is Modules, so the organizational structure you want on your Home page can be set up either through the Home page directly or through Modules. Modules are the main organizational tool in Canvas. Within individual modules, you can link to Pages, Assignments, Quizzes, or add Files for students to view.
Modules Video Overview
Creating and managing modules
- Canvas guide: How do I add a module?
- Canvas guide: How do I move or reorder a module?
- Canvas guide: How do I edit a module?
- Canvas guide: How do I edit module items?
Adding content to modules
- Canvas guide: How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?
- Canvas guide: How do I add an external URL as a module item?
- Canvas guide: How do I add a text header as a module item?
Controlling student access to modules
- Canvas guide: How to add a prerequisite to a module?
- Canvas guide: How do I add requirements to a module?
- If requirements are set, you can view the progress of students in moving through the modules.
- Canvas guide: How do I lock a module? Set modules to unlock on a specified date and time. Students will be able to see the module titles and module item names, but they will not be able to access the module items until after the lock date has passed.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to publish the modules that you want students to have access to.
- Depending on the structure of your course, you may choose to create modules for your course according to week, course topic, or type.
- Instead of linking numerous files directly to Home/Modules, consider placing similar type files as links within a Page and only linking the Page to Home/Modules. This can help declutter Home/Modules and make items easier for students to find.