Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I use Peer Review as an Instructor?
A peer review assignment enables students to provide feedback on another student's submission. Peer reviews on assignments can be assigned to show student names or display anonymously. Peer reviews can also be added as part of a graded discussion. Unlike peer review assignments, discussions cannot be assigned anonymously.
To use the Peer Review feature, you first set up the assignment or discussion that you are going to use it with. As you are completing the set-up you will select the "Require Peer Reviews" checkbox.
There are two options when assigning peer reviews, you can manually assign or allow Canvas to automatically assign peer reviews. When peer reviews are automatically assigned, students are required to submit to the assignment first before they can review another students submission.
There is only one due date associated with the assignment. If you would like to have a separate due date for the peer reviews, you can add an event in the calendar as the due date. Or if you are going to grade the peer reviews separately, create another no submission assignment with the peer review due date.
Assignment Peer Review
- Canvas guide: How do I use peer review assignments in a course?
- Canvas guide: How do I create a peer review assignment?
- Canvas guide: How do I manually assign peer reviews for an assignment?
- Canvas guide: How do I automatically assign peer reviews for an assignment?
Discussion Peer Review
- Canvas guide: How do I use peer review discussions in a course?
- Canvas guide: How do I create a peer review discussion?
- Canvas guide: How do I automatically assign peer reviews for a discussion?
- Canvas guide: How do I manually assign peer reviews for a discussion?
Peer Review Comments
- UWL KB: How do I use peer review as a student?
- UWL KB: How do I see where students receive feedback?
Tips and Tricks
- Add this video to your Canvas course to help students: Feedback Overview
- Peer reviews that are set as anonymous are not able to use the the annotation options in SpeedGrader. Students would have to either leave comments or download the submission and upload, attach with comments.