Topics Map > CATL > Canvas
Canvas - How do I set up and use my gradebook?
To add items to your gradebook you will need to create the item as an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion first. Assignments can be created for online submissions or for in class work.
When you are within the assignment page you will be able to assign point values to assignments, create assignment groups, and weight assignment groups if desired. Any quiz or graded discussion will also populate in the assignment page.
Grades can be entered into the gradebook manually, imported from a .csv file, or put in automatically when using SpeedGrader. Grades can also be hidden from students until the instructor is ready to release them.
Gradebook Video Overview
Navigating the gradebook
- Canvas guide: How do I use the Gradebook?
- Canvas guide: How do I arrange columns in the Gradebook?
- Canvas guide: How do I use the Total column in the Gradebook?
- Canvas guide: How do I use the icons and colors in the Gradebook?
- Canvas guide: How do I curve grades in the Gradebook?
- Canvas guide: How do I enter and edit grades in the Gradebook?
- Canvas guide: How do I import grades in the Gradebook?
- Canvas guide: How do I export grades in the Gradebook?
- KB guide: Canvas- How do I use SpeedGrader?
- KB guide: Total grade calculation with missing assignments
- KB guide: How do I provide flexibility in scoring student assignments and quizzes?
Tips and Tricks
- If you use assignment groups in your course, this will allow students to see their course percentage in that group in the gradebook. It is also possible to add rules for assignment group, such as dropping the lowest two assignments in a group.
- You can send a message from the gradebook to students who haven’t submitted an assignment, haven’t received a grade, or who received above or below a certain grade on an assignment.
- If you have a grade item where you expect most students to receive the same grade, you can set a default grade and then manually adjust individual student grades as necessary.
- If you want to leave simple feedback for your students, you can leave a text comment directly from the Gradebook.
- Students can use the What-if tool to calculate what they would need to get on future assignments to maintain or improve their grade in the course.