Faculty & Staff Technology Guide (2020-2021)
A technology overview for UWL faculty and staff.
Your NetID is an important part of your technology profile. It is your unique username allowing you to log into UWL technology services The format for faculty/staff is first initial and last name. For example: jdoe.
Account and Password Management
ITS provides a convenient self-service password and account reset page. This tool helps faculty and staff gain first-time access, the ability to reset passwords, to unlock your account and manage your Duo devices 24x7 available at: https://www.uwlax.edu/info/password-reset/. Click on First Time Access if you have never used your NetID, click on Password Management if you need to recover or reset your password. Click on Account Locked if you are experiencing an account lockout. Click on Duo Device if needing to manage your Duo account and devices or send yourself a one-time passcode.
- *Notes about password changes on UWL-owned devices:
- If using a UWL-owned Mac, then please use Enterprise Connect instead to change your password.
- If using a UWL-owned computer and are currently off-campus, then please follow these instructions here: Password Reset Help - Remotely Changing Your Password on a UWL-Owned PC or Mac.
- Need more information about Duo? Then check out our KB: Duo - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft Office is available for all UWL faculty/staff. In addition, faculty/staff are eligible to download Office 365 desktop or mobile apps at no cost for up to 5 personal devices. To gain access to Office 365, just go http://office365.uwlax.edu/ or go to the UWL home page at https://www.uwlax.edu/ and click the "Email" icon located at the top corner of the page. Once you log in to your Office 365 account, to install Office 365 for your desktop, click on the button that says Install Office [located in the upper right].
WINGS is the name for UWL's Student Information System (SIS). This software provides students, faculty, and staff with access to information relating to recruiting and admissions, records and registration, financial aid, student financials, and enhanced self-service capabilities.
- Log in at: https://wings.uwlax.edu.
- WINGS Help: https://www.uwlax.edu/wings/
- For more information about how to access WINGS, then check out this KB article: WINGS - How do I log in?
- New to UWL? Then please ensure that you have filled out the WINGS Compliance Form and more information about that can be found here: https://www.uwlax.edu/records/forms/#tm-wings-compliance-access-request-form
This site provides a wealth of information on the campus. You can view your courses, e-mail, connect via social media, see maps, and utilize a host of other resources. It can be viewed from your computer or any mobile device. Give it a try at: https://wings.uwlax.edu/mobile
This service allows campus faculty, staff, and students to use their Windows, Macintosh, Apple iOS, or Android devices to connect 24x7 to a Windows desktop and software like those in the ITS computer classrooms and labs.
- For more information, go to https://www.uwlax.edu/its/system-administration/virtual-desktop/ or try it out at https://virtual.uwlax.edu.
VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- For more information about the VPN, then go to https://www.uwlax.edu/its/network-telecom/vpn-virtual-private-network/.
Online File Storage
Faculty and staff have existing file storage through OneDrive (1 TB), Google Drive (30GB), and our UWL network storage or the U: Drive (15GB). Online files can be accessed using your NetID from campus computers, from home, and as read-only files online.
- More information about Online File Storage can be found at: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/system-administration/file-storage/.
Antivirus & Malware Software
ITS encourages safe, virus free, computing. Without antivirus software your computer can become severely infected. All faculty/staff computers have Cisco AMP installed automatically.
- For more information go to: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/client-services-and-support/antivirus-malware-information/
Wireless is available throughout campus. UWL-Eagle is a secure wireless network which requires you to enter your NetID and password. This should be your default wireless network for full access for UWL faculty and staff.
- To learn more about connecting to the campus WiFi go to: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/network-telecom/campus-wireless-services/.
Access to Other Productivity Tools
UWL may utilizes Office 365 campus-wide, but faculty and staff also have access to Google Drive, Sheets, Sites, etc. You may access all of these tools through the Quicklinks under "Faculty & staff" at the UWL homepage at https://www.uwlax.edu/ or sign into your UWL Google account by using your UWL email address and current password at https://accounts.google.com.
- Related KB article: Google Account - Accessing Google Drive and Google Apps
Video Technology Tools for Teaching & Learning
There are a variety of video technology tools for teaching and learning available to faculty and staff. For more detailed information of what is available at UWL, then please check out the KB article: Video Technology Tools for Teaching & Learning.
The classroom directory is a searchable resource that identifies classrooms by filterable criteria. Information in the details on the classrooms includes but is not limited to the following: seating capacity, room type, display technology, room photos interactive 360 room photo.
- Check out the classroom directory here: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/computer-classrooms-labs-and-technology/classroom-directory/.
Available Software for UWL-Owned Computers
Computer Technology Purchases
For recommendations and purchasing information for University-owned computers go to https://www.uwlax.edu/its/technology-purchases/purchasing/#tab-uwl-departments. Special pricing for personal computers for UWL staff and students through Dell and Apple is also available.
Faculty and Staff should work with ITS Client Services to request software purchases and installation. A ticket can be made with the request type I have a request > Software Installation or by clicking this link: https://support.uwlax.edu/helpdesk/WebObjects/Helpdesk.woa/wa/TicketActions/new?
Our online knowledge base is available 24/7 for your technology troubleshooting needs. Check at the KB at https://kb.uwlax.edu/.
Eagle Help Desk
For more information about the Eagle Help Desk, then please check out our website here: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/client-services-and-support/eagle-help-desk/.