Faculty & Staff Technology Guide (2021-2022)
A technology overview for UWL faculty and staff.
- Your NetID
- Your Employee ID Number
- Account and Password Management
- Microsoft Office 365
- UWL Mobile
- Virtual Desktop (WVD - Windows Virtual Desktop)
- VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- Online File Storage
- Antivirus & Malware Software
- Wireless Access
- Access to Other Productivity Tools
- Video Technology Tools for Teaching & Learning
- Classroom Directory
- Available Software for UWL-Owned Computers
- Computer Technology Purchases
- Software Purchases
- Cyber Security Responsibilities and Polices
- KnowledgeBase (KB)
- Social Media
- Eagle Help Desk
Your NetID is an important part of your technology profile. It is your unique username allowing you to log into UWL technology services The format for faculty/staff is first initial and last name. For example: jdoe.
- For more information about your NetID, check out https://www.uwlax.edu/its/knowledge-base/netidemail/.
- *Note: Faculty & staff accounts are disabled or they lose access on the day that contracts end through Human Resources or on the day that employees separate from UWL.
Your employee ID number is a an 8 digit number (usually starting with 0s) that is only associated to you and it shows that you are a part of UWL. This number should have been originally given to you by Human Resources and can also be retrieved from Human Resources if you have miss-placed or have forgotten it overall. Your employee ID number is not the same as your NetID and it is used for a various of reasons, especially when needing to use the password reset page in order to activate your NetID for the first time, to recover your "Expired or Forgotten" password or to be able to use the "one-time" passcode code option for Duo as a back-up (see "Account and Password Management" below to learn more about the password reset utility page and what it has to offer).
- However, please keep in mind that not every employee hired by UWL has an employee ID number associated to them and Human Resources should have been the one to tell you that in the first place. Thus, in order recover any expired or forgotten password(s), then they will need to contact the Eagle Help Desk directly at 608-785-8774 in order for further assistance with the password reset recovery process.
- If you need assistance with a physical staff ID card, then please reach out to the Card Office instead. Information about physical staff ID cards can be found here too: https://www.uwlax.edu/university-centers/staff-id-cards/.
ITS provides a convenient self-service password and account reset page. This tool helps faculty and staff gain first-time access, the ability to reset passwords, to unlock your account and manage your Duo devices 24x7 available at: https://www.uwlax.edu/info/password-reset/. Click on First Time Access if you have never used your NetID, click on Password Management if you need to recover or reset your password. Click on Account Locked if you are experiencing an account lockout. Click on Duo Device if needing to manage your Duo account and devices or send yourself a one-time passcode.
- *Notes about password changes on UWL-owned devices:
- If using a UWL-owned Mac, then please use Enterprise Connect instead to change your password.
- If using a UWL-owned computer and are currently off-campus, then please follow these instructions here: Password Reset Help - Remotely Changing Your Password on a UWL-Owned PC or Mac.
- Need more information about Duo? Then check out our KB: Duo - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Microsoft Office is available for all UWL faculty/staff. In addition, faculty/staff are eligible to download Office 365 desktop or mobile apps at no cost for up to 5 personal devices. To gain access to Office 365, just go http://office365.uwlax.edu/ or go to the UWL home page at https://www.uwlax.edu/ and click the "Email" icon located at the top corner of the page. Once you log in to your Office 365 account, to install Office 365 for your desktop, click on the button that says Install Office [located in the upper right].
UWL provides faculty and staff a Zoom account that they can use to host and join Zoom meetings with and information about how to sign into your UWL Zoom account can be found here: Zoom - How do I sign in?
- Related KB article: Zoom Support - FAQs
WINGS is the name for UWL's Student Information System (SIS). This software provides students, faculty, and staff with access to information relating to recruiting and admissions, records and registration, financial aid, student financials, and enhanced self-service capabilities.
- Log in at: https://wings.uwlax.edu.
- WINGS Help: https://www.uwlax.edu/wings/
- For more information about how to access WINGS, then check out this KB article: WINGS - How do I log in?
- New to UWL? Then please ensure that you have filled out the WINGS Compliance Form and more information about that can be found here: https://www.uwlax.edu/records/forms/#tm-wings-compliance-access-request-form
This site provides a wealth of information on the campus. You can view your courses, e-mail, connect via social media, see maps, and utilize a host of other resources. It can be viewed from your computer or any mobile device. Give it a try at: https://wings.uwlax.edu/mobile
This service allows campus faculty, staff, and students to use their Windows, Macintosh, Apple iOS, or Android devices to connect 24x7 to a Windows desktop and software like those in the ITS computer classrooms and labs.
- For more information, go to https://www.uwlax.edu/its/system-administration/virtual-desktop/ or WVD - Windows Virtual Desktop.
- For more information about the VPN, then go to https://www.uwlax.edu/its/network-telecom/vpn-virtual-private-network/.
Faculty and staff have existing file storage through OneDrive (1 TB), Google Drive (30GB), and our UWL network storage or the U: Drive (15GB). Online files can be accessed using your NetID from campus computers, from home, and as read-only files online.
- More information about Online File Storage can be found at: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/system-administration/file-storage/.
ITS encourages safe, virus free, computing. Without antivirus software your computer can become severely infected. All faculty/staff computers have Cisco AMP installed automatically.
- For more information go to: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/client-services-and-support/antivirus-malware-information/
Wireless is available throughout campus. UWL-Eagle is a secure wireless network which requires you to enter your NetID and password. This should be your default wireless network for full access for UWL faculty and staff.
- To learn more about connecting to the campus WiFi go to: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/network-telecom/campus-wireless-services/.
UWL may utilizes Office 365 campus-wide, but faculty and staff also have access to Google Drive, Sheets, Sites, etc. You may access all of these tools through the Quicklinks under "Faculty & staff" at the UWL homepage at https://www.uwlax.edu/ or sign into your UWL Google account by using your UWL email address and current password at https://accounts.google.com.
- Related KB articles:
There are a variety of video technology tools for teaching and learning available to faculty and staff. For more detailed information of what is available at UWL, then please check out the KB article: Video Technology Tools for Teaching & Learning.
The classroom directory is a searchable resource that identifies classrooms by filterable criteria. Information in the details on the classrooms includes but is not limited to the following: seating capacity, room type, display technology, room photos interactive 360 room photo.
- Check out the classroom directory here: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/computer-classrooms-labs-and-technology/classroom-directory/.
- For more information on what is currently available for UWL computers and labs, then please go here at https://www.uwlax.edu/its/software-email-and-calendar/computer-software-list/ and for more information about how to locate the Software Center or Self Service application on your opened UWL-owned computer, then please check out this KB: UWL-Owned Faculty/Staff Computers - Locating the Software Center (PC) or Self Service (Mac) Applications.
For recommendations and purchasing information for University-owned computers go to https://www.uwlax.edu/its/technology-purchases/purchasing/#tab-uwl-departments. Special pricing for personal computers for UWL staff and students through Dell and Apple is also available.
Software, including software licenses and maintenance, can be purchased through ShopUW+. Please use the Non-Catalog Item Add in ShopUW+ as well.
- For more information about ShopUW+ or purchasing in general, then please contact the Purchasing Office.
ITS wants to remind UWL faculty and staff about existing cyber security policies. It is important to be aware each UW-La Crosse employee is required to report the following incidents and situations:
- All lost or stolen university-owned computers, mobile assets, storage devices.
- Lost or stolen personally-owned computers, mobile assets, or storage devices which contain UW System-owned data and information.
- Any identified physical intrusion of secure campus areas.
- Discovery of malware, viruses, ransomware, or unauthorized access to data and information resources.
- Inappropriately shared, exposed, or lost data.
If you have observed any of the above incidents, be sure to call or email the Eagle Help Desk at 608-785-8774 or email@example.com. Stolen equipment should be immediately reported to the UW-La Crosse University Police Department. You may also submit a ticket.
Sometimes you may receive "phishy" or spam-like emails sent to your UWL email account. Thus, we encourage UWL faculty and staff to be on the lookout for potential phishing attacks and emails.
- For more information about phishing, check out Phishing - How to Spot a Phishing Email.
Our online knowledge base is available 24/7 for your technology troubleshooting needs. Check at the KB at https://kb.uwlax.edu/.
- For more information about the Eagle Help Desk, then please check out our website here: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/client-services-and-support/eagle-help-desk/.
- ITS Website: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/
- Faculty & Staff Technology Guide on the ITS website: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/knowledge-base/faculty-and-staff-technology-guide/