Student Technology Guide (2020-2021)
A technology overview for UWL students.
- Your NetID
- Your Student ID Number
- Account and Password Management
- UWL Mobile
- Virtual Desktop (WVD - Windows Virtual Desktop)
- Remote Computer Access
- VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- Student Printing
- Online File Storage
- Antivirus & Malware Software
- Computer Purchasing Advice
- Wireless Access: UWL-Eagle
- Access to Productivity Tools
- Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus for Students
- Software Purchases
- Social Media
- Need online tech help?
- For more information
Your student ID number is a 9 digit number that is only associated to you and it shows that you are a part of UWL. This number should have been originally given to you by Admissions, but your student ID number can also be retrieved from Records and Registration if you have miss-placed or have forgotten it overall. Your student ID number is not the same as your NetID and it is used for a various of reasons, especially when needing to use the password reset page in order to activate your NetID for the first time, to recover your "Expired or Forgotten" password or to be able to use the "one-time" passcode code option for Duo as a back-up (see "Account and Password Management" below to learn more about the password reset utility page and what it has to offer).
- *Note: If you need assistance with a physical student ID card, then please reach out to the Card Office instead. Information about physical student ID cards can be found here too: https://www.uwlax.edu/university-centers/services/eagle-id-card/eagle-id/.
Duo is our 2-step authentication method needed when logging into UWL accounts, like Canvas, WINGS and email. This authentication method requires a second device, like using the Duo Mobile app on a smartphone, which is our most recommended and most common choice of Duo device. When logging in, you will need your username and password along with the numerical code that a Duo device generates. These codes change after a short time interval and can only be obtained from a Duo activated device which is assigned to your account. This makes your account more secure against online attacks and phishing because if your password becomes compromised, only you have access to the Duo device for your account.
- Need more information about Duo? Then check out our KB: Duo - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
- Call Canvas Support first for any Canvas related issues at 1(833)-826-8719 or for more information about Canvas Support, check out this KB article: Canvas - How do I get help with Canvas?
- For more information about how to access Canvas, then check out this KB article: Canvas - Accessing Canvas for Students.
**Important Note: The previous Virtual Desktop called "VMware Horizon" has been retired on December 31st, 2020 and will no longer be available in 2021 and beyond. Check out our alternative virtual environment or virtual desktop instead: WVD - Windows Virtual Desktop.
- For more information, go to: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/system-administration/virtual-desktop/.
New this year is another way to get access to computers on campus remotely. Remote Computer Access allows you to access computers physically sitting on campus like in Murphy Library or a computer classroom. This also allows access to software not available in the Virtual Desktop like Adobe Creative Cloud, Tableau, and OriginLab to name a few. Please see the below KB article on how to use Remote Computer Access.
UWL's VPN service allows any UWL associate to connect to campus remotely from any available network connection almost anywhere in the world: including from home, from many hotels, and even from within some company networks.
- You can find more information at: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/network-telecom/vpn-virtual-private-network/.
You can print remotely to multiple printers on campus from your computer using your NetID.
- You can find more information at: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/client-services-and-support/pay-for-print/.
- More information about Online File Storage can be found here at: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/system-administration/file-storage/.
- For more information go to: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/client-services-and-support/antivirus-malware-information/.
- To learn more about connecting to the campus Wi-Fi go to: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/network-telecom/campus-wireless-services/.
- Related KB article: Google Account - Accessing Google Drive and Google Apps
- KB articles to check out:
- UWL provides students a Zoom account that they can use to host and join Zoom meetings with and information about how to sign into your UWL Zoom account can be found here: Zoom - How do I sign in?.
- Related KB article: Zoom Support - FAQs
- Eagle Help Desk KB Article: Eagle Help Desk Hours
- Eagle Help Desk Website: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/client-services-and-support/eagle-help-desk/
- ITS Website: https://www.uwlax.edu/its/